What is this amazing purple drink?
Made from Taro, this super delicious treat is a healthy and yummy alternative to other sugar-filled hot drinks.
Photo Credit @localmbassy Boutique Cafe & Kitchen.
What is Taro?
This purple latte is made with Taro. Taro is a type of root vegetable, similar to a sweet potato. It comes in many shapes, sizes and colours depending on where it was grown. It is used in many different dishes around the world due to it's naturally nutty and sweet flavour.
It provides us with many health benefits:
- improves digestion
- lowers blood sugar levels
- protects the skin
- increases circulation
- aids the immune system
- boosts vision
- supports nerve health
- helps muscle
Taro is also contains dietary fiber and carbohydrates. It has high levels of vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin B6, and folate, as well as, iron, magnesium, zinc, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, and copper. In other words, it's awesome!
Taro Latte Recipe
1 purple taro (approx 200 gm)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup milk
1 cup hot milk for latte
1. Pre-heat oven to 200ºC and bake the taro whole for 45 minutes.
2. Let it cool, then peel and cut it into small chunks.
3. Add cooked taro, honey, and cold milk in a blender. Blend until smooth (strain through a strainer for finer texture).
4. Add 1/4 cup of purple paste to a mug and 1 cup of hot milk. Stir with a spoon, and/or froth for 30-60 seconds.